So it's been a little while since I updated about the drawing. The first reason is that we were in NC for my step-sisters' (they're twins) graduation from high school. Yeah Hannah and Katherine!
The second reason is as follows. In almost every drawing and most of the prints there comes a point where they hit the "ugly phase". Generally it's close to the end of the process and I print a color or do something to the drawing that I almost immediately regret. Then comes the feeling that the project can not be salvaged and I'm going to have to give it up. In this drawing it came when I took the main figure from this:
by doing a blue ink wash over the whole thing. The spots are from areas of heavier conte application that acted as a resist for the ink. I also used brown conte to completely dull the underlying colors of the city. In short, I made the whole thing a muddy unattractive mess. If I were braver, I would have then posted the "ugly phase" pictures without knowing if the drawing was going to turn out or not. But I'm not that confident, so I didn't.
I know is seems like a left out several big steps, but I promise that's not exactly true. That's pretty much how the drawings always work out. I almost give up, I walk away for a couple of days and when I start again they come together rather quickly.
Here's a overview of the whole thing.
There are some more detail shots here:
Now the drawing is essentially finished. The whole thing will be sprayed with a UV protective clear coat so the the dry conte colors won't rub off. I won't stretch it for awhile because it's easier to store this way. It will hang in my studio for a bit and I may do some small touch ups but that's about it.
Since i've gone this far, I'll post pictures of the stretching process when I get to it. This is largest one I've ever tried to stretch so it should be interesting. Wheeee....